Monday, March 19, 2012

The Hives

We had quite the week in the Burkhart home.
Kennedy had been on amoxicillin for an ear infection for about 8 days. On Tuesday I had noticed a couple red slightly raised/swollen bumps by her belly button and then by her armpits. 
I wasn't too concerned.
Before she went to bed that night they had gotten a little worse.
Well, she woke up about 3am and I tried taking her in to bed with me but she couldn't fall back asleep. I brought her downstairs and noticed that the rash had spread and gotten worse. 
I didn't have any benadryl at home so,I woke Ryan up and we ended up going to the ER around 5am.

After being checked out by the doctor, he was pretty sure it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. He told us to give her benadryl. He also said it would take a couple days for the hives to go away completely. 
We took his advice and bought some benadryl.
That didn't seem to work and it kept spreading and looking worse. By this point it was now on her face.

On Thursday I decided to make an appointment with our family doctor. 
Doctor said to try zyrtec and if that didn't make the hives go away in a few hours to take a steroid that she prescribed. She said that if they didn't get any better in a couple days, she wanted to do some blood work.
We tried to zyrtec and by the next morning it had gotten worse and her face looked horrible. She looked like a cheetah with all her spots.

On to the steroid. That did the trick. It also made her wired! That girl was all over the place and no slowing down. She only took a 45 minute nap that day. It was insane! 
Good thing we only had to give her one dose of that. Yikes! 

Here are some pictures of the progression. 
We are so glad she's back to her normal self now.

Early Wednesday (14th) morning

Noon Wednesday (14th)

Later Wednesday (14th) afternoon

Thursday (15th) morning
Thursday (15th) noon
Friday (16th) morning

And that's that. 
These pictures actually make it look better than they really were.
Glad my baby is okay. :)

1 comment:

{jaclyn} said...

Ohhh, yikes. Poor Kennedy. And poor mom and dad having to worry. Glad you got them cleared up. Hope her infection is gone as well.